Thursday, July 10, 2008

Eco-Tip of the Week #1

Tip #1: Don't use your dryer!

Even newer energy-saving models use a large amount of energy to dry your clothes. They also have the potential to stretch, shrink and fade your clothes.

If you have a heated house, dry your clothes inside! Use an indoor clothesline or airer. Sure, it doesn't look pretty, but it's not permanent. Put them away when you are expecting guests. If your house is heated with a split-system/heat pump or ducted heating, this method is especially effective.

Or, you can hang your clothes outside! (bit old fashioned, but it works ;) )

So there you go! Save energy, your favorite shirt and the planet!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Hey Helm :-) I've been meaning to buy a dryer for YEARS, firstly in Canberra cos it takes weeks to dry clothes in winter there, then when I moved to Melbourne I still thought I should buy one. I still haven't gotten around to it, and don't think I'll bother.

My solution in Canberra (which I used until I moved into my house here) was to use my airer (cos I've lived in units so much I have a network of them) and put my oil column heater under it, then put a (freshly washed) sheet over the top. Clothes dried in NO time.

Now I have ducted gas heating, so I stick the airer under the vent. Sometimes I still use my column heater. I don't dry my clothes outside on the line - still too much construction and dust around for that!